Publications | Scholarship
- The Federation of Asian Bishops' Conferences (FABC): Bearing Witness to the Gospel and the Reign of God in Asia (Fortress Press, 2021)
- Christian Mission among the Peoples of Asia (Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2014). Named by the International Bulletin of Missionary Research as one of 15 outstanding books of 2014 for mission studies.
- Introducing Asian American Theologies (Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2008). Funded by the Louisville Institute's First Book Grant for Scholars of Color, 2005.
- (with Elaine Wei Fun Goh, Kah-Jin Jeffrey Kuan, and Amos Yong). From Malaysia to the Ends of the Earth: Southeast Asian and Diasporic Contributions to Biblical and Theological Studies (Claremont, CA: Claremont Press, 2021).
- (with Michael Amaladoss, S.J.), Interreligious Encounters: Opportunities and Challenges (Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2017).
- (with Anh Q. Tran, S.J.), World Christianity: Perspectives and Insights (Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2016). Named by the International Bulletin of Mission Research as one of top ten outstanding books of 2017 for mission studies.
- (with Justin K.H. Tse), Theological Reflections on the Hong Kong Umbrella Movement (Palgrave Macmillan, 2016)
Essays & Book Chapters
- "From Liturgical Inculturation to Intersectional Liturgizing: Working with Anscar Chupungco in a Bilingual and Intercultural Urban Episcopal Parish in Midwestern United States." In Doing Liturgical Theology: Method in Context, eds. Jason McFarland and Stephen Burns (Leuven: Peeters – in progress)
- "Towards an Intersectional, Intercultural, and Multilingual Book of Common Prayer for the Episcopal Church in the United States." In According to All: Catholicity in Postcolonial Perspectives, eds. Stephen Burns and Bryan Cones (Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, in progress).
- "Mission to Migrants: Challenges and Tasks." In Migration, Mission and Ministry: An Introduction, eds. Robert Chao Romero and Peter C. Phan (Skyforest, CA: Urban Loft Publishers, 2021).
- (co-authored with Kah-Jin Jeffrey Kuan). "Introduction: Theologizing in Contemporary Malaysia – Prospects and Opportunities." In From Malaysia to the Ends of the Earth: Southeast Asian and Diasporic Contributions to Biblical and Theological Studies, eds. Elaine Wei-Fun Goh, Kah-Jin Jeffrey Kuan, Jonathan Yun-Ka Tan, and Amos Wai-Ming Yong (Claremont, CA: Claremont Press, 2021).
- "Diasporic Chinese (Huaqiao 華僑) or Multicultural Malaysian? The Challenges of being Chinese and Christian in Malaysia Today." In Ecclesial Diversity in Chinese Christianity, eds. Alexander Chow and Easten Law (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2021)
- "Confucian Ancestor Veneration and the Chinese Rites Controversy." In Confucianism and Christianity: Interreligious Dialogue on the Theology of Mission, ed. Edmund Kee-Fook Chia, pp. 33-47 (London: Routledge, 2021).
- "The Implications of Transient Migration and Online Communities for Changing the Church in Asia." In Changing the Church: Transformations of Christian Belief, Practice, and Life, eds. Mark D. Chapman and Vladimir Latinovic, pp. 183-190 (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2021). DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-53425-7_21
- (co-authored with Catherine Gomes). "The Global Appeal of Digital Pastors: A Comparative Study of Joseph Prince, Brian and Bobby Houston." In Religion, Hypermobility and Digital Media in Global Asia: Faith, Flows and Fellowship, eds. Catherine Gomes, Lily Kong and Orlando Woods, pp. 149-178 (Amsterdam University Press, 2020).
- (co-authored with Catherine Gomes). "Christianity as the Sixth Aspirational 'C': Megachurches and the Changing Landscape of Religion, Prosperity, and Wealth in Singapore." In Money and Moralities in Contemporary Asia, eds. Lan Anh Hoang and Cheryll Alipio, pp. 213-240 (Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press, 2020).
- "Pope Francis's Preferential Option for Migrants, Refugees, and Asylum Seekers," International Bulletin of Mission Research 43 no. 1 (2019): 58-66. DOI: 10.1177/2396939318801794
- "Ecumenical and Inter-religious Contributions to Asian Liberation Theologies." The Ecumenical Review 69 no. 4 (2017): 474-490. DOI: 10.1111/erev.12315
- (co-authored with Catherine Gomes). "Christianity: A Culture of Transnational Mobility. In Catherine Gomes, Transient Mobility and Middle Class Identity: Media and Migration in Australia and Singapore (Palgrave Macmillan, 2017), 185-208."
- "Worship, Music, and Pastoral Ministry." In Theologians and Philosophers Using Social Media: Advice, Tips and Testimonials, ed. Thomas Jay Oord, pp. 411-416 (San Diego: Sacra Press, 2017).
- "Missio Inter Gentes as a New Paradigm of Mission." In Mission 21: Das Evangelium in neuen Rämen erschließen. Weltkirche und Mission vol. 8, eds. Klara Csiszar, Martin Hochholzer, Markus Luber and Hubertus Schönemann, pp. 24-36 (Regensburg: Verlag Friedrich Pustet, 2017).
- "'Who do you say I am?' Uncovering the Chinese Sensus Fidelium in Images of Jesus in Chinese Catholic Devotional Art from the 1930s to 1940s." In Learning from All the Faithful: A Contemporary Theology of the Sensus Fidei, eds. Bradford E. Hinze and Peter C. Phan (Pickwick Publications, 2016), pp. 281-294.
- "What Christians Can Learn from Chinese Religions." In Interfaith Dialogue: Global Perspectives, ed. Edmund Kee-Fook Chia, pp. 155-167 (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2016). DOI 10.1057/978-1-137-59698-7_12.
- "A Daughter's Filiality, A Courtesan's Moral Propriety and a Wife's Conjugal Love: Rethinking Confucian Ethics for Women in the Tale of Kiều (Truyện Kiều)." In Religion and Cultures in Dialogue: East and West Perspectives, ed. Jānis (John) T. Ozoliņš, pp. 129-151 (New York: Springer, 2016). DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-25724-2_9.
- "Dynamics of Interfaith Collaborations in Postcolonial Asia: Prospects and Opportunities." In Postcolonial Practice of Ministry: Leadership, Liturgy, Interfaith Engagement, eds. Kwok Pui-Lan and Stephen Burns, pp. 167-181 (Lexington Books, 2016).
- (co-authored with Catherine Gomes). "Christianity as a Culture of Mobility: A Case Study of Asian Transient Migrants in Singapore" Kritika Kultura 25 (2015): 91-124. DOI: 10.13185/KK2015.02512
- "Asian Liberative Theologies." In Introducing Liberative Theologies, ed. Miguel De La Torre, pp. 47-66 (Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2015)
- "Catholics." In Asian American Religious Cultures, eds. Jonathan H. X. Lee, Jane Naomi Iwamura, Fumitaka Matsuoka, Edmond Yee, and Ronald Nakasone, Vol. I, pp. 29-35 (Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 2015).
- "Roman Catholic Charismatic Renewal in Asia: Implications and Opportunities." In Global Renewal Christianity: Spirit-Empowered Movements Past, Present, and Future, Volume I: Asia and Oceania, eds. Vinson Synan and Amos Yong, pp. 196-201 (Lake Mary, FL: Charisma House Publishers, 2015)
- "Missio inter Gentes." In Intercultural Mission, Volume II, eds. Lazar T. Stanislaus and Martin Ueffing, pp. 187-200 (New Delhi: ISPCK, 2015).
- "Beyond Sacrosanctum Concilium: The Future of Liturgical Renewal in the Asian Catholic Church." Studia Liturgica 44 (2014):277-312
- "Katholische Amerikaner asiatischer Herkunft und moderne liturgische Migrationen." Theologie der Gegenwart 57 no. 2 (2014):95-112.
- "Envisioning an Emerging Asian Australian Christianity." In Indigenous Australia and the Unfinished Business of Theology: Cross-cultural Engagement, ed. Jione Havea, pp. 167-180 (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2014)
- "Encounter between Confucianism and Christianity." In Oxford Handbook of Christianity in Asia, ed. Felix Wilfred, pp. 428-443 (New York: Oxford University Press, 2014).
- (co-authored with Peter C. Phan) "Interreligious Majority-Minority Dynamics." In Understanding Interreligious Relations, eds. David Cheetham, Douglas Pratt and David Thomas, pp. 218-240 (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2013)
- "From 'Ad Gentes' to 'Active Integral Evangelization': The Reception of Vatican II's Mission Theology in Asia." East Asian Pastoral Review 50 no. 3 (2013): 217-250. Also reprinted as
"From 'Ad Gentes' to 'Active Integral Evangelization': Reception of the Vatican II Mission Theology in Asia." Vidyajyoti Journal of Theological Reflection [in 2 parts] 77 (2013) 506-521 (Part I); 77 (2013) 692-710 (Part II). Reprinted in Asia Pacific Mission Studies 1 no. 1 (2019): 35-68 https://journals.ateneo.edu/ojs/index.php/apms/article/view/3175
- "Mission as Witness and Proclamation." In A Century of Catholic Mission: Roman Catholic Missiology 1910 to the Present, ed. Stephen B. Bevans, pp. 175-182 (Oxford: Regnum Books, 2013).
- "An Asian Theology of Migration and Its Interreligious Implications: Insights from the Documents of the Federation of Asian Bishops' Conferences (FABC)." In Contemporary Issues of Migration and Theology, eds. Elaine Padilla and Peter C. Phan, pp. 121-138 (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2013).
- "Asian American Catholics and Contemporary Liturgical Migrations: From Tradition-Maintenance to Traditioning." In Liturgy in Migration: From the Upper Room to Cyberspace, ed. Teresa Berger, pp. 243-257 (Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 2012).
- "From Classical Tradition Maintenance to Remix Traditioning: Revisioning Asian American Theologies for the 21st Century." In New Overtures: Asian North American Theology in the 21st Century: Essays in Honor of Fumitaka Matsuoka, ed. Eleazar S. Fernandez, pp. 51-70. (Upland, CA: Sopher Press, 2012).
- "Migration in Asia and its Missiological Implications: Insights from the Migration Theology of the Federation of Asian Bishops' Conferences (FABC)." Mission Studies 29 (2012): 45-61.
- "From Classical Tradition Maintenance to Remix Traditioning: Revisioning Asian American Theologies for the 21st Century." Journal of Race, Ethnicity and Religion Vol. 3 Issue 2.3 (2012).
- "Đức Giêsu, vị thánh chịu đóng đinh và phục sinh: Xây Dựng Một Nền Kitô Học Nho Giáo Đương Đại." Thời sự thần học 55 (2012) 150-186.
- "Teaching Religion and Theology: Intercultural and Transnational Online Resources." Religious Studies News: Spotlight on Teaching (October 2011)
- Rethinking the Relationship between Christianity and World Religions, and Exploring its Implications for Doing Christian Mission in Asia." Missiology 39 no. 4 (2011): 497-509
- "Dalle cristologie europee di taglio classico-universalistico alle cristologie contestuali asiatiche." In Per I Molti Cammimi di Dio, Vol IV: Teologia Liberatrice Intercontinentale del Pluralismo Religioso. Eds. J. M. Vigil, L.E. Tomita, M. Barros, pp. 207-217 (Villa Verucchio, Italy: Pazzinni Editore, 2011).
- "Inculturation in Asia: The Asian Approach of the Federation of Asian Bishops' Conferences (FABC)," in Reaping A Harvest From The Asian Soil: Towards An Asian Theology, ed. Vimal Tirimanna, pp. 81-100 (Bangalore: Asian Trading Corporation, 2011)
- "Chinese Rites Controversy," in Cambridge Dictionary of Christianity, ed. Daniel Patte, p. 210 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2010).
- "Confucianism and Christianity," in Cambridge Dictionary of Christianity, ed. Daniel Patte, pp. 265-266 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2010).
- "Marriage and Family Ministry Among Asian American Catholics." In Love One Another: Catholic Reflections on How to Sustain Marriages Today, eds. Tim Muldoon and Cynthia Dobrzynski, pp. 152-168 (New York: Crossroads, 2010).
- "Asian American Marian Devotions as Ritual Practice." New Theology Review 23 no. 3 (2010): 35-44.
- "Ministry Meets Social Networking: Connecting with the Digital Natives." New Theology Review 22 no. 4 (2009): 36-44. Reprinted in SEDOS Bulletin 45 nos. 9/10 (2013): 204-210.
- "The Future of Asian American Theologies." In Asian American Christianity: A Reader, eds. Viji Nakka-Cammauf and Timothy Tseng, pp. 343-351 (Castro Valley, CA: Institute for the Study of Asian American Christianity, 2009).
- "Issues, Challenges, and Pastoral Strategies in Asian American Catholic Marriage Ministry." INTAMS Review: Journal for the Study of Marriage & Spirituality 14:2 (2008) 205-219
- "Asian American Theologies," in Global Dictionary of Theology, eds. William A. Dyrness and Veli-Matti Karkkainen (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2008), pp. 70-74.
- "Jesus, The Crucified and Risen Sage: Constructing A Contemporary Confucian Christology." In The Chinese Face of Jesus Christ Vol. 3b, ed. Roman Malek. Sankt Augustin, Germany: Institut Monumenta Serica/China-Zentrum, 2007. Pages 1481-1513.
- "Das cristologias européias clássico-universalistas às cristologias contextuais asiáticas." In Teologia Pluralista Libertadora Intercontinental, eds. Luiza Etsuko Tomita, Marcelo Barros & Jose Maria Vigil, pp. 221-233. Sao Paolo: Paulinas, 2007.
- "Marriage in Asian American Families," C21 Resources (Fall 2007) 21.
- "Mission among the Peoples: A Lesson from the Church in Asia," National Jesuit News 36:3 (December 2006/January 2007) 4
- "De las cristologias europeas de corte clasico-universalista a las cristologias contextuales asiaticas" In Por los muchos caminos de Dios, Vol. IV: Teologia liberadora intercontinental del pluralismo religioso, eds. Jose Maria Vigil, Luiza E. Tomita, Marcelo Barros, pp. 147-155. ASETT, Asociacion Ecumenica de Teologos/as del Tercer Mundo. Quito: Abya Yala, 2006.
- "La Chiesa e il Regno: Un nuovo modo essere Chiesa in Asia." In Teologia in Asia, eds. M. Amaladoss and R. Gibellini. Brescia, Italy: Editrice Queriniana, 2006. Pages 320-342.
- "Menuju Suatu Paradigma Baru Dalam Teologi Misi." (Jakarta: Komisi Komunikasi Sosial Konferensi Waligereja Indonesia, 2006).
- "Asian American Catholics: Diversity Within Diversity." New Theology Review 18:2 (May 2005) 36-47.
- "Mission Inter Gentes." Spiritus: Hors Serie 2005: Ad Gentes 40 ans apres (Dec 2005), pp. 147-157.
- "Missio inter gentes: Vers uns nouveau paradigme de la theologie missionnaire." Supplement EDA (Eglises d'Asie) No. 415, Dossiers et documents No. 3 (Mars 2005). Reprinted in Mission: Revue des sciences de la mission 12:1 (2005) 99-128.
- A New Way of Being Church in Asia: The Federation of Asian Bishops' Conferences (FABC) at the Service of Life in Pluralistic Asia. Missiology 33:1 (Jan 2005) 71-94.
- "Jesus, The Crucified and Risen Sage: Towards A Confucian Christology." In Asian Faces of Christ. Ed. Vimal Tirimanna. Bangalore: Asian Trading Corporation, 2005. Pages 49-87.
- "From 'Missio ad Gentes' to 'Missio inter Gentes': Shaping A New Paradigm for Doing Christian Mission in Asia." Vidyajyoti Journal of Theological Reflection [in 2 parts] 68 (2004) 670-686 (Part I); 69 (2005) 27-41 (Part II).
- "Missio Inter Gentes: Towards a New Paradigm in the Mission Theology of the Federation of Asian Bishops' Conferences (FABC)." Mission Studies 21:1 (2004) 65-95.
• Reprinted as FABC Papers No. 109. Hong Kong: Federation of Asian Bishops' Conferences, 2004.
- "From Ecclesia In Asia To A Mission Of Love And Service: A Comparative Analysis Of Two Contrasting Approaches To Doing Christian Mission In Asia." East Asian Pastoral Review 41:1 (2004) 68-101.
- “アジア特別シノドス「提題解説」に対する日本とインドネシアの公式回答” 神学ダイジェスト 97 (2004): 18-35.
- "Approaches to Christian Mission in Asia." Vidyajyoti Journal of Theological Reflection 67 (2003) 214-230 (Part I); 272-284 (Part II).
14 articles in the New Catholic Encyclopedia, Second Edition. Ed. Berard L. Marthaler, OFMConv. (Farmington Hills, MI: Gale, 2003).
- "Cambodia, The Catholic Church in" (joint author), Vol. 2, pp. 901-904.
- "Catholic Theological Society of America (CTSA)" (joint author), Vol. 3, pp. 287-288.
- "Chinese Philosophy" (joint author), Vol. 3, pp. 507-512.
- "Chinese Religions", Vol. 3, pp. 512-513.
- "Confucianism and Neo-Confucianism", Vol. 4, pp. 95-99.
- "Confucius (Kongfuzi)", Vol. 4, pp. 99-101.
- "Daoism (Taoism)", Vol. 4, pp. 522-525.
- "East Asian Pastoral Institute," Vol. 5, p. 3.
- "Federation of Asian Bishops' Conferences" (joint author), Vol. 5, pp. 660-662.
- "Laozi (Lao-Tzu)", Vol. 8, p. 332.
- "Malaysia, the Catholic Church in" (joint author), Vol. 9, pp. 69-72.
- "Mencius (Mengzi)", Vol. 9, pp. 486-487.
- "Mission and Evangelization, Papal Writings on," Vol. 9, pp. 680-682.
- "Vietnam, the Catholic Church in" (joint author), Vol. 14, pp. 499-507.
- "The Responses of the Indonesian and Japanese Bishops to the Lineamenta." In The Asian Synod: Texts and Commentaries. Ed. Peter C. Phan. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2002. Pages 59-72.
Six essays in Dialogue? Resource Manual for Catholics in Asia. Ed. Edmund Chia, FSC. Bangkok: FABC-OEIA, 2001. Pages 106-119.
- "Local Churches and the Task of Christian Mission in Asia." Pages 106-107.
- "Theology of the Kingdom of God." Pages 108-109.
- "A Necessity for Dialogue in the Asian Milieu." Pages 110-111.
- "A Triple Dialogue with Asian Cultures, Religions and the Poor." Pages 112-115.
- "Dialogue and the Task of Christian Mission in Asia." Pages 116-117.
- "Theology of Harmony." Pages 118-119.
- "Constructing an Asian Theology of Liturgical Inculturation from the Documents of the Federation of Asian Bishops' Conferences (FABC)." Originally published in East Asian Pastoral Review 36 (1999) 383-401. Reprinted in Vidyajyoti Journal of Theological Reflection 65 (2001) 565-580.
- "Theologizing at the Service of Life: The Contextual Theological Methodology of the Federation of Asian Bishops' Conferences (FABC)." Gregorianum 81:3 (2000) 541-575. Reprinted as FABC Papers No. 108. Hong Kong: Federation of Asian Bishops' Conferences, 2003.
- "Towards Asian Liturgical Inculturation: Investigating the Resources in the Documents of the Federation of Asian Bishops' Conferences (FABC) for Developing an Asian Theology of Liturgical Inculturation." FABC Papers No. 89. Hong Kong: Federation of Asian Bishops' Conferences, 1999.
- "The Ancestor Veneration Rites of the Contemporary Malaysian Chinese Community and Inculturation." East Asian Pastoral Review 35 (1998) 320-355.
- Walk Humbly with the Lord: Church and Mission Engaging Plurality, eds. Viggo Mortensen and Andreas Østerlund Nielsen, in Theological Studies 72 (2011): 661-663.
- From a Liminal Place: An Asian American Theology, by Sang Hyun Lee, in Theological Studies 72 (2011): 687.
- "They Were All Together in One Place? Toward Minority Biblical Criticism", eds. Randall C. Bailey, Tat-siong Benny Liew, and Fernando F. Segovia, in Theological Studies 71 (2010) 454-455
- "Transcultural Theodicy in the Fiction of Shusaku Endo", by Adelino Ascenso, in Theological Studies 71 (2010): 263-264.
- "The Politics of Postsecular Religion: Mourning Secular Futures", by Ananda Abeysekara, in Theological Studies 70 (2009): 713-715.
- "Father and Son in Confucianism and Christianity: A Comparative Study of Xunzi and Paul", by Yanxia Zhao, in Theological Studies 70 (2009): 205-206
- "Off the Menu: Asian and Asian North American Women's Religion & Theology", edited by Rita Nakashima Brock, Jung Ha Kim, Kwok Pui-Lan, and Seung Ai Yang, in Theological Studies 69 (2008): 962-963.
- "The Asian Jesus", by Michael Amaladoss, in Catholic Books Review, an online journal managed by Adelphi University, Garden City, NY.
- "American Mythos: Why Our Best Efforts to be a Better Nation Fall Short", by Robert Wuthnow, in Catholic Books Review, an online journal managed by Adelphi University, Garden City, NY.
- "Asian Christian Theologies: A Research Guide to Authors, Movements, Sources", eds. John C. England, et al, in Theological Studies 66 no. 3 (2005) 682-684.
- "Being Religious Interreligiously: Asian Perspectives on Interfaith Dialogue", by Peter C. Phan, in Catholic Books Review, an online journal managed by Adelphi University, Garden City, NY.
- "Lost Scriptures: Books That Did Not Make It Into The New Testament", ed. Bart D. Ehrman, in Catholic Books Review, an online journal managed by Adelphi University, Garden City, NY.
- "In Our Own Tongues: Perspectives from Asia on Mission and Inculturation", by Peter C. Phan, in Catholic Books Review, an online journal managed by Adelphi University, Garden City, NY.
- "Pentecost in Asia: A New Way of Being Church", by Thomas C. Fox, in America 187 no. 14 (Nov 4, 2002): 20-22.
- "Asia-Church in Mission: Exploring Ad Gentes Mission Initiatives of the Local Churches in Asia in the Vatican II Era", by James H. Kroeger, M.M., in Living Light 37 no. 2 (Winter 2000): 84-86.
- "Liturgy in Migration: Contemporary Asian American Catholic Liturgical Migration From Tradition-Maintenance to Traditioning", PrayTell Blog (10 December 2013)
- "Studying Chinese Christianity: From a Transplanted Foreign Religion to an Indigenous Chinese Religion." Originally posted at Teaching Theology in a Transnational and Global World Blog (22 December 2011). Reposted at: Global Theology (10 January 2012)
- Scripture Reflection for Ash Wednesday, 17 Feb 2010 (ISAAC Blog)
Revision 7.011 | Originally created: 29 March 2005 | Last updated: 31 May 2021.