• Course Websites
• All Things Religion
• Religion Web Resources
• Religion Links
• Academic Research Resources
• Library Research Resources
• Radio & Videos
• Introducing Asian American Theologies
• Christian Mission among the Peoples of Asia
• World Christianity: Perspectives and Insights
• Theological Reflections HK Umbrella Movement
• Original Compositions/Arrangements
• Video Recordings
• Church Music
• Cantus Mundi
- Christian Mission among the Peoples of Asia (Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2014). Named by the International Bulletin of Missionary Research as one of 15 outstanding books of 2014 for mission studies.
- Introducing Asian American Theologies (Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2008)
- (with Michael Amaladoss, S.J.), Interreligious Encounters: Opportunities and Challenges (Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, scheduled for publication in 2017).
- (with Anh Q. Tran, S.J.), World Christianity: Perspectives and Insights (Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2016).
- (with Justin K.H. Tse), Theological Reflections on the Hong Kong Umbrella Movement (Palgrave Macmillan, 2016)
Essays & Book Chapters
- "Vatican II, Interreligious Dialogue, and Human Mobility." In Le gioie e le speranze, le tristezze e le angosce…”: Concilio Vaticano II, chiesa e mobilità umana [= “The joys and the hopes, the griefs and the anxieties…”: Second Vatican Council, church and human mobility], ed. Gioacchino Campese (Rome: Scalabrini International Migration Institute, forthcoming in 2017).
- "'Who do you say I am?' Uncovering the Chinese Sensus Fidelium in Images of Jesus in Chinese Catholic Devotional Art from the 1930s to 1940s." In Learning from All the Faithful: A Contemporary Theology of the Sensus Fidei, eds. Bradford E. Hinze and Peter C. Phan (Pickwick Publications, forthcoming in 2017).
- (co-authored with Catherine Gomes). "Culture of transnational mobility: Christianity." In Catherine Gomes, Transient Mobility and Middle Class Identity (Palgrave Macmillan, forthcoming in 2016).
- "What Christians Can Learn from Chinese Religions." In Interfaith Dialogue: Global Perspectives, ed. Edmund Kee-Fook Chia, pp. 155-167 (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2016). DOI 10.1057/978-1-137-59698-7_12
- "A Daughter's Filiality, A Courtesan's Moral Propriety and a Wife's Conjugal Love: Rethinking Confucian Ethics for Women in the Tale of Kiều (Truyện Kiều)." In Religion and Cultures in Dialogue: East and West Perspectives, ed. Jānis (John) T. Ozoliņš, pp. 129-151 (New York: Springer, 2016). DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-25724-2_9
- "Dynamics of Interfaith Collaborations in Postcolonial Asia: Prospects and Opportunities." In Postcolonial Practice of Ministry: Leadership, Liturgy, Interfaith Engagement, eds. Kwok Pui-Lan and Stephen Burns, pp. 167-181 (Lexington Books, 2016).
- (co-authored with Catherine Gomes) "Christianity as a Culture of Mobility: A Case Study of Asian Transient Migrants in Singapore" Kritika Kultura 25 (2015): 91-124.
- "Asian Liberative Theologies." In Introducing Liberative Theologies, ed. Miguel De La Torre, pp. 47-66 (Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2015)
- "Catholics." In Asian American Religious Cultures, eds. Jonathan H. X. Lee, Jane Naomi Iwamura, Fumitaka Matsuoka, Edmond Yee, and Ronald Nakasone, Vol. I, pp. 29-35 (Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 2015).
- "Roman Catholic Charismatic Renewal in Asia: Implications and Opportunities." In Global Renewal Christianity: Spirit-Empowered Movements Past, Present, and Future, Volume I: Asia and Oceania, eds. Vinson Synan and Amos Yong, pp. 196-201 (Lake Mary, FL: Charisma House Publishers, 2015)
- "Missio inter Gentes." In Intercultural Mission, Volume II, eds. Lazar T. Stanislaus and Martin Ueffing, pp. 187-200 (New Delhi: ISPCK, 2015).
- "Beyond Sacrosanctum Concilium: The Future of Liturgical Renewal in the Asian Catholic Church." Studia Liturgica 44 (2014):277-312
- "Katholische Amerikaner asiatischer Herkunft und moderne liturgische Migrationen." Theologie der Gegenwart 57 no. 2 (2014):95-112.
- "Envisioning an Emerging Asian Australian Christianity." In Indigenous Australia and the Unfinished Business of Theology: Cross-cultural Engagement, ed. Jione Havea, pp. 167-180 (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2014)
- "Encounter between Confucianism and Christianity." In Oxford Handbook of Christianity in Asia, ed. Felix Wilfred, pp. 428-443 (New York: Oxford University Press, 2014).
- (co-authored with Peter C. Phan) "Interreligious Majority-Minority Dynamics." In Understanding Interreligious Relations, eds. David Cheetham, Douglas Pratt and David Thomas, pp. 218-240 (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2013)
- "From 'Ad Gentes' to 'Active Integral Evangelization': The Reception of Vatican II's Mission Theology in Asia." East Asian Pastoral Review 50 no. 3 (2013): 217-250. Also reprinted as
"From 'Ad Gentes' to 'Active Integral Evangelization': Reception of the Vatican II Mission Theology in Asia." Vidyajyoti Journal of Theological Reflection [in 2 parts] 77 (2013) 506-521 (Part I); 77 (2013) 692-710 (Part II)
- "Mission as Witness and Proclamation." In A Century of Catholic Mission: Roman Catholic Missiology 1910 to the Present, ed. Stephen B. Bevans, pp. 175-182 (Oxford: Regnum Books, 2013).
- "An Asian Theology of Migration and Its Interreligious Implications: Insights from the Documents of the Federation of Asian Bishops' Conferences (FABC)." In Contemporary Issues of Migration and Theology, eds. Elaine Padilla and Peter C. Phan, pp. 121-138 (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2013).
- "Asian American Catholics and Contemporary Liturgical Migrations: From Tradition-Maintenance to Traditioning." In Liturgy in Migration: From the Upper Room to Cyberspace, ed. Teresa Berger, pp. 243-257 (Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 2012).
- "From Classical Tradition Maintenance to Remix Traditioning: Revisioning Asian American Theologies for the 21st Century." In New Overtures: Asian North American Theology in the 21st Century: Essays in Honor of Fumitaka Matsuoka, ed. Eleazar S. Fernandez, pp. 51-70. (Upland, CA: Sopher Press, 2012).
- "Migration in Asia and its Missiological Implications: Insights from the Migration Theology of the Federation of Asian Bishops' Conferences (FABC)." Mission Studies 29 (2012): 45-61.
- "From Classical Tradition Maintenance to Remix Traditioning: Revisioning Asian American Theologies for the 21st Century." Journal of Race, Ethnicity and Religion Vol. 3 Issue 2.3 (2012).
- "Đức Giêsu, vị thánh chịu đóng đinh và phục sinh: Xây Dựng Một Nền Kitô Học Nho Giáo Đương Đại." Thời sự thần học 55 (2012) 150-186.
- "Teaching Religion and Theology: Intercultural and Transnational Online Resources." Religious Studies News: Spotlight on Teaching (October 2011)
- Rethinking the Relationship between Christianity and World Religions, and Exploring its Implications for Doing Christian Mission in Asia." Missiology 39 no. 4 (2011): 497-509
- "Dalle cristologie europee di taglio classico-universalistico alle cristologie contestuali asiatiche." In Per I Molti Cammimi di Dio, Vol IV: Teologia Liberatrice Intercontinentale del Pluralismo Religioso. Eds. J. M. Vigil, L.E. Tomita, M. Barros, pp. 207-217 (Villa Verucchio, Italy: Pazzinni Editore, 2011).
- "Inculturation in Asia: The Asian Approach of the Federation of Asian Bishops' Conferences (FABC)," in Reaping A Harvest From The Asian Soil: Towards An Asian Theology, ed. Vimal Tirimanna, pp. 81-100 (Bangalore: Asian Trading Corporation, 2011)
- "Chinese Rites Controversy," in Cambridge Dictionary of Christianity, ed. Daniel Patte, p. 210 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2010).
- "Confucianism and Christianity," in Cambridge Dictionary of Christianity, ed. Daniel Patte, pp. 265-266 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2010).
- "Marriage and Family Ministry Among Asian American Catholics." In Love One Another: Catholic Reflections on How to Sustain Marriages Today, eds. Tim Muldoon and Cynthia Dobrzynski, pp. 152-168 (New York: Crossroads, 2010).
- "Asian American Marian Devotions as Ritual Practice." New Theology Review 23 no. 3 (2010): 35-44.
- "Ministry Meets Social Networking: Connecting with the Digital Natives." New Theology Review 22 no. 4 (2009): 36-44. Reprinted in SEDOS Bulletin 45 nos. 9/10 (2013): 204-210.
- "The Future of Asian American Theologies." In Asian American Christianity: A Reader, eds. Viji Nakka-Cammauf and Timothy Tseng, pp. 343-351 (Castro Valley, CA: Institute for the Study of Asian American Christianity, 2009).
- "Issues, Challenges, and Pastoral Strategies in Asian American Catholic Marriage Ministry." INTAMS Review: Journal for the Study of Marriage & Spirituality 14:2 (2008) 205-219
- "Asian American Theologies," in Global Dictionary of Theology, eds. William A. Dyrness and Veli-Matti Karkkainen (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2008), pp. 70-74.
- "Jesus, The Crucified and Risen Sage: Constructing A Contemporary Confucian Christology." In The Chinese Face of Jesus Christ Vol. 3b, ed. Roman Malek. Sankt Augustin, Germany: Institut Monumenta Serica/China-Zentrum, 2007. Pages 1481-1513.
- "Das cristologias européias clássico-universalistas às cristologias contextuais asiáticas." In Teologia Pluralista Libertadora Intercontinental, eds. Luiza Etsuko Tomita, Marcelo Barros & Jose Maria Vigil, pp. 221-233. Sao Paolo: Paulinas, 2007.
- "Marriage in Asian American Families," C21 Resources (Fall 2007) 21.
- "Mission among the Peoples: A Lesson from the Church in Asia," National Jesuit News 36:3 (December 2006/January 2007) 4
- "De las cristologias europeas de corte clasico-universalista a las cristologias contextuales asiaticas" In Por los muchos caminos de Dios, Vol. IV: Teologia liberadora intercontinental del pluralismo religioso, eds. Jose Maria Vigil, Luiza E. Tomita, Marcelo Barros, pp. 147-155. ASETT, Asociacion Ecumenica de Teologos/as del Tercer Mundo. Quito: Abya Yala, 2006.
- "La Chiesa e il Regno: Un nuovo modo essere Chiesa in Asia." In Teologia in Asia, eds. M. Amaladoss and R. Gibellini. Brescia, Italy: Editrice Queriniana, 2006. Pages 320-342.
- "Menuju Suatu Paradigma Baru Dalam Teologi Misi." (Jakarta: Komisi Komunikasi Sosial Konferensi Waligereja Indonesia, 2006).
- "Asian American Catholics: Diversity Within Diversity." New Theology Review 18:2 (May 2005) 36-47.
- "Mission Inter Gentes." Spiritus: Hors Serie 2005: Ad Gentes 40 ans apres (Dec 2005), pp. 147-157.
- "Missio inter gentes: Vers uns nouveau paradigme de la theologie missionnaire." Supplement EDA (Eglises d'Asie) No. 415, Dossiers et documents No. 3 (Mars 2005). Reprinted in Mission: Revue des sciences de la mission 12:1 (2005) 99-128.
- A New Way of Being Church in Asia: The Federation of Asian Bishops' Conferences (FABC) at the Service of Life in Pluralistic Asia. Missiology 33:1 (Jan 2005) 71-94.
- "Jesus, The Crucified and Risen Sage: Towards A Confucian Christology." In Asian Faces of Christ. Ed. Vimal Tirimanna. Bangalore: Asian Trading Corporation, 2005. Pages 49-87.
- "From 'Missio ad Gentes' to 'Missio inter Gentes': Shaping A New Paradigm for Doing Christian Mission in Asia." Vidyajyoti Journal of Theological Reflection [in 2 parts] 68 (2004) 670-686 (Part I); 69 (2005) 27-41 (Part II).
- "Missio Inter Gentes: Towards a New Paradigm in the Mission Theology of the Federation of Asian Bishops' Conferences (FABC)." Mission Studies 21:1 (2004) 65-95.
• Reprinted as FABC Papers No. 109. Hong Kong: Federation of Asian Bishops' Conferences, 2004.
- "From Ecclesia In Asia To A Mission Of Love And Service: A Comparative Analysis Of Two Contrasting Approaches To Doing Christian Mission In Asia." East Asian Pastoral Review 41:1 (2004) 68-101.
- “アジア特別シノドス「提題解説」に対する日本とインドネシアの公式回答” 神学ダイジェスト 97 (2004): 18-35.
- "Approaches to Christian Mission in Asia." Vidyajyoti Journal of Theological Reflection 67 (2003) 214-230 (Part I); 272-284 (Part II).
14 articles in the New Catholic Encyclopedia, Second Edition. Ed. Berard L. Marthaler, OFMConv. (Farmington Hills, MI: Gale, 2003).
- "Cambodia, The Catholic Church in" (joint author), Vol. 2, pp. 901-904.
- "Catholic Theological Society of America (CTSA)" (joint author), Vol. 3, pp. 287-288.
- "Chinese Philosophy" (joint author), Vol. 3, pp. 507-512.
- "Chinese Religions", Vol. 3, pp. 512-513.
- "Confucianism and Neo-Confucianism", Vol. 4, pp. 95-99.
- "Confucius (Kongfuzi)", Vol. 4, pp. 99-101.
- "Daoism (Taoism)", Vol. 4, pp. 522-525.
- "East Asian Pastoral Institute," Vol. 5, p. 3.
- "Federation of Asian Bishops' Conferences" (joint author), Vol. 5, pp. 660-662.
- "Laozi (Lao-Tzu)", Vol. 8, p. 332.
- "Malaysia, the Catholic Church in" (joint author), Vol. 9, pp. 69-72.
- "Mencius (Mengzi)", Vol. 9, pp. 486-487.
- "Mission and Evangelization, Papal Writings on," Vol. 9, pp. 680-682.
- "Vietnam, the Catholic Church in" (joint author), Vol. 14, pp. 499-507.
- "The Responses of the Indonesian and Japanese Bishops to the Lineamenta." In The Asian Synod: Texts and Commentaries. Ed. Peter C. Phan. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2002. Pages 59-72.
Six essays in Dialogue? Resource Manual for Catholics in Asia. Ed. Edmund Chia, FSC. Bangkok: FABC-OEIA, 2001. Pages 106-119.
- "Local Churches and the Task of Christian Mission in Asia." Pages 106-107.
- "Theology of the Kingdom of God." Pages 108-109.
- "A Necessity for Dialogue in the Asian Milieu." Pages 110-111.
- "A Triple Dialogue with Asian Cultures, Religions and the Poor." Pages 112-115.
- "Dialogue and the Task of Christian Mission in Asia." Pages 116-117.
- "Theology of Harmony." Pages 118-119.
- "Constructing an Asian Theology of Liturgical Inculturation from the Documents of the Federation of Asian Bishops' Conferences (FABC)." Originally published in East Asian Pastoral Review 36 (1999) 383-401. Reprinted in Vidyajyoti Journal of Theological Reflection 65 (2001) 565-580.
- "Theologizing at the Service of Life: The Contextual Theological Methodology of the Federation of Asian Bishops' Conferences (FABC)." Gregorianum 81:3 (2000) 541-575. Reprinted as FABC Papers No. 108. Hong Kong: Federation of Asian Bishops' Conferences, 2003.
- "Towards Asian Liturgical Inculturation: Investigating the Resources in the Documents of the Federation of Asian Bishops' Conferences (FABC) for Developing an Asian Theology of Liturgical Inculturation." FABC Papers No. 89. Hong Kong: Federation of Asian Bishops' Conferences, 1999.
- "The Ancestor Veneration Rites of the Contemporary Malaysian Chinese Community and Inculturation." East Asian Pastoral Review 35 (1998) 320-355.
- Walk Humbly with the Lord: Church and Mission Engaging Plurality, eds. Viggo Mortensen and Andreas Østerlund Nielsen, in Theological Studies 72 (2011): 661-663.
- From a Liminal Place: An Asian American Theology, by Sang Hyun Lee, in Theological Studies 72 (2011): 687.
- "They Were All Together in One Place? Toward Minority Biblical Criticism", eds. Randall C. Bailey, Tat-siong Benny Liew, and Fernando F. Segovia, in Theological Studies 71 (2010) 454-455
- "Transcultural Theodicy in the Fiction of Shusaku Endo", by Adelino Ascenso, in Theological Studies 71 (2010): 263-264.
- "The Politics of Postsecular Religion: Mourning Secular Futures", by Ananda Abeysekara, in Theological Studies 70 (2009): 713-715.
- "Father and Son in Confucianism and Christianity: A Comparative Study of Xunzi and Paul", by Yanxia Zhao, in Theological Studies 70 (2009): 205-206
- "Off the Menu: Asian and Asian North American Women's Religion & Theology", edited by Rita Nakashima Brock, Jung Ha Kim, Kwok Pui-Lan, and Seung Ai Yang, in Theological Studies 69 (2008): 962-963.
- "The Asian Jesus", by Michael Amaladoss, in Catholic Books Review, an online journal managed by Adelphi University, Garden City, NY.
- "American Mythos: Why Our Best Efforts to be a Better Nation Fall Short", by Robert Wuthnow, in Catholic Books Review, an online journal managed by Adelphi University, Garden City, NY.
- "Asian Christian Theologies: A Research Guide to Authors, Movements, Sources", eds. John C. England, et al, in Theological Studies 66 no. 3 (2005) 682-684.
- "Being Religious Interreligiously: Asian Perspectives on Interfaith Dialogue", by Peter C. Phan, in Catholic Books Review, an online journal managed by Adelphi University, Garden City, NY.
- "Lost Scriptures: Books That Did Not Make It Into The New Testament", ed. Bart D. Ehrman, in Catholic Books Review, an online journal managed by Adelphi University, Garden City, NY.
- "In Our Own Tongues: Perspectives from Asia on Mission and Inculturation", by Peter C. Phan, in Catholic Books Review, an online journal managed by Adelphi University, Garden City, NY.
- "Pentecost in Asia: A New Way of Being Church", by Thomas C. Fox, in America 187 no. 14 (Nov 4, 2002): 20-22.
- "Asia-Church in Mission: Exploring Ad Gentes Mission Initiatives of the Local Churches in Asia in the Vatican II Era", by James H. Kroeger, M.M., in Living Light 37 no. 2 (Winter 2000): 84-86.
- "Liturgy in Migration: Contemporary Asian American Catholic Liturgical Migration From Tradition-Maintenance to Traditioning", PrayTell Blog (10 December 2013)
- "Studying Chinese Christianity: From a Transplanted Foreign Religion to an Indigenous Chinese Religion." Originally posted at Teaching Theology in a Transnational and Global World Blog (22 December 2011). Reposted at: Global Theology (10 January 2012)
- Scripture Reflection for Ash Wednesday, 17 Feb 2010 (ISAAC Blog)
Revision 6.0.039. Originally created: 29 March 2005. Last updated: 5 October 2016.